The Caesar Creek Soaring Club (CCSC) was born out of the Soaring Society of Dayton which was started in the late 1940’s by a group of employees of the Wright Patterson Air Force Base and Air Force personnel. The South Dayton Airport (no longer in existence) was the first base of operations for SSD. By 1958 the club had moved operations to Richmond Indiana airport.
In 1968 the club moved to its current base of operations, a re-purposed farm now glider port, located 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Waynesville, Ohio and 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the Caesar Creek State Park. The 120-acre (49 ha) plot of farmland was purchased in 1967 and over the next one and a half years it was converted from a dairy farm into a field suitable for sailplane operations. As of today there is a 2,800-foot-long (850 m) east–west grass runway, a club house, picnic grounds, a campground and hangars for aircraft.
With over 200 members belonging to the CCSC, it is one of the two largest clubs in the United States, the other being the Texas Soaring Association located in Midlothian, Texas.
HISTORY OF CCSC – JIM HURST
In 1993 Jim Hurst, a long time member, wrote a nice essay about the early history of CCSC titled, “What Makes Caesar Creek Tick” that was published in the July 1993 issue of SOARING.
HISTORY OF CCSC – BOB ROOT
In 2014 Bob Root provided some of his stories about the history of CCSC.
TROPHY FLIGHT – BILL MAXWELL
Read Bill Maxwell’s report of the 1984 initiation of the competition with nearby soaring clubs to be in possession of the eagle trophy.